Preventing False Alarms
False alarms are irritating. Irritating to you, your neighbors, and they even startle your pets. They consume police resources and after too many you may be issued a fine or fee depending on where you live. Depending on your location, Enhanced Call Verification or ECV may be in place, requiring us to call at least 2 people on your call list before dispatching authorities.
We know you don’t like to be irritated and we don’t want false alarms either! Luckily, most false alarms are easily prevented.
Eliminate False Alarms with These Tips:
- Know your codes
- Most false alarms are caused by people just entering the wrong codes to disarm. An easy way to eliminate this issue is entering custom codes for each person, being careful to never use codes that a burglar could easily guess like your house number.
- Secure all windows and doors
- Keeping windows and doors closed is a smart security practice but is also prevents false alarms. Remember to close all windows and doors before attempting to arm your system and disarm it before opening.
- Train users
- Be mindful of pets
- If your home is armed with motion detectors and you have pets, be sure they are pet immune detectors. No motion detector is completely pet proof, though. Cats especially, who can jump on high furniture are triggers of motion detectors. If you recently have adopted a cat into your home armed with motion detectors, call or click here to ask our team what other security solutions we can replace them with.
- “Think” like a motion detector
- It may sound silly, but a motion detector’s job is to simply report when there is motion. If you have curtains that move when your heater comes on, that motion may cause what you think of as a false alarm. Make sure holiday decorations, balloons and cobwebs are kept away from rooms with motion detectors as well. Have a Roomba that cleans your floors while you’re away at work? Yep, that’s motion, too. Also, make sure nothing is blocking your motion detector’s field of view such as a large box directly in front of it. Blocking your motion detector assures it cannot do its job effectively and can also cause false alarms.
- Pay attention to Low Battery Warnings
- We let you know when you have a low battery, change them as soon as you can after you receive the notification. If you don’t want to change batteries, we can also do it for you.
- Consider the weather
- Acts of nature can also set off your alarm. Strong winds, electrical storms and hurricanes can result in false alarms.
- Let us know if you suspect equipment problems
- False alarms are typically due to human error. Nationwide, about 70% of false alarms are due to some kind of mistake. But if you ever feel that a false alarm was caused by an equipment error, call our office and our service department will troubleshoot the system over the phone and set up a service call if needed.
If you do cause a false alarm, don’t panic! Have your Account ID or passcode ready for the operator who calls you or call our office 24/7 to report a false alarm. Declaring a false alarm quickly can save police resources from being dispatched unnecessarily.
Don’t be surprised if one of our team members contacts to check on you after a false alarm. We know you are busy and want to follow up to if we can help you in any way. If you have any questions or concerns, call us 24/7 at 410-546-2210.
About Alarm Engineering
Locally owned and operated, Alarm Engineering has been securing Delmarva since 1985. In that time, we have developed a reputation for integrity, reliability, and quality with our emphasis on superior service to our customers. We know you have many choices when it comes to your security system, so here are some things you should know about us.
Alarm Engineering is leading provider of electronic security systems and services in Delaware and the Eastern Shores of Maryland and Virginia. From integrated home security systems with home automation and video to large enterprise-level integrated systems and small business solutions, our highly trained and professional staff will get the job done right. As an Authorized Alarm.com dealer, we offer exclusive Crash and Smash technology, Geo-Fencing, Doorbell Camera and LiftMaster Garage Control as part of our Home Automation offerings.
For more about what sets us apart from the crowd, click here or give us a call at 410.546.2210. But don’t just take our word for it: check out our five star Google Reviews.