Tested Your Alarm System Lately?
The Importance of Testing your Alarm System
Just like medical professionals suggest you get a periodic physical to identify possible issues with your health, we recommend periodic testing of your alarm system, at least annually but even as often as monthly.
We highly recommend testing your system immediately if you have:
- Recently changed phone service or had any phone service done on your home.
- Switched to an internet phone service like Vonage or Magic Jack.
- Cancelled your landline to use only your cell phone.
This test will cover two important system communication checks.
- Make sure that the alarm hardware in your home or office is communicating to the panel properly.
- Make sure that your alarm system communication to our Central Monitoring Station is working properly.
Testing Your System is Easy
- Before you test your system, make sure to let us know you plan on testing it.
- Call the number on your ID card provided at installation or call our office at 410-546-2210. Be ready with your account ID and let our team know you’d like to put your system on test.
- The operator will ask you how long you would like the system on test. You can either tell them a span of time (like 30 minutes) or tell them you’ll call back when you’re done to put the system live again.
- Now that your system is set to test mode your alarm will sound and our Central Monitoring Station will get the signals, but they will NOT contact the authorities since they know this is just a test.
- Arm your system.
- Walk around your home or office and test each device and let the alarm sound for about one minute. So, open the window and make sure the system goes into alarm using the keypad display and/or your siren. Reset the alarm and move to the next device.
- Once your testing is complete, call the Central Monitoring Station back and make sure the signals were received.
That’s it – your system is now tested!
Who is on your Security System Call List?
This is a great time to think about who is contacted when your alarm sounds. You created your call list when we initially installed your system. Do you remember who is on your call list?
Many of our customers set their call list more than twenty years ago! We recommend checking your call list at least every couple of years to be sure the information is up to date. Remember to have your Account ID handy when you call our office, or complete this online form so we can validate your identity.
We recommend listing yourself and any close neighbors or family you trust to be able to check on your property at any time or the day or night.
Each person on your call list should:
- Be trained in the operation of your system
- Be able to access the protected building(s) on your property
- Know the code to arm and disarm your system
- Know the system Passcode or Account ID
Passcode vs. Account ID
Your passcode is a single word designated by you that is able to declare a false alarm. Your Account ID is four numbers and a letter provided to you on installation day. Keep this ID safe as knowledge of this ID will allow the bearer to make any changes or updates to your account by calling our office or completing this online form. If you haven’t assigned an account passcode or if you don’t remember what it is, just call our office with your Account ID and we can either remind you or change it: 410-546-2210.
If you aren’t yet an Alarm Engineering customer, experience the customer service difference a local, expert team offers. We’ve been serving your friends and neighbors since 1985.
Been thinking about upgrading your alarm system? Learn more about our customer loyalty program here.
Stay Connected to Alarm Engineering
Like this article? Subscribe to our Monthly Newsletter and don’t miss a thing!
We post valuable safety and security information, specials, local interest stories, hilarious stupid criminal stories and contests on social media. Join in now and stay connected!
About Alarm Engineering
Locally owned and operated, Alarm Engineering has been securing Delmarva since 1985. In that time, we have developed a reputation for integrity, reliability, and quality with our emphasis on superior service to our customers. We know you have many choices when it comes to your security system, so here are some things you should know about us.
Alarm Engineering is leading provider of electronic security systems and services in Delaware and the Eastern Shores of Maryland and Virginia. From integrated home security systems with home automation and video to large enterprise-level integrated systems and small business solutions, our highly trained and professional staff will get the job done right. As an Authorized Alarm.com dealer, we offer exclusive Crash and Smash technology, Geo-Fencing, Doorbell Camera and LiftMaster Garage Control as part of our Home Automation offerings.
For more about what sets us apart from the crowd, click here or give us a call at 410.546.2210. But don’t just take our word for it: read what our customers are saying.