12 Important Holiday Safety & Security Tips
Make sure all your holiday memories are good ones with these security tips:
- A beautifully decorated tree is the centerpiece of so many front-facing windows, but showcasing all the presents under that tree is tempting to burglars.
- New electronics are exciting – for family and burglars alike; large empty boxes for that new big screen or computer left on your curb are inadvertent advertisements for the goodies inside your home.
- Light up your home, inside and out – burglars hate well-lit areas.
- Remember that many would-be burglars are opportunists; don’t leave any tools or ladders outside that could be easily stolen or re-purposed to aid a burglar break into your home.
- An undisturbed snow covered driveway lasting more than a day is an easy giveaway that you are away from home. Team up with neighbors and ask them to leave tire tracks while you’re away.
Traveling during the holidays?
- Security systems with integrated home automation can make your empty home look lived in occupied with automatic lighting schedules as well as live remote access to your TV and stereo systems for ambient sound.
- Social Media is a great way to let friends and extended family know exactly where you are. Unfortunately, burglars use this information as well. Be thoughtful about broadcasting when your home is vacant.
- Of course, arm your alarm system before you leave.
- Update your vacation call list with us before you leave at by calling our office at 410-546-2210. Now you can also update your call list using a secure form on our website. Be sure to let us know the exact dates and times you would like temporary changes to be in effect. Click here to get started!
Candle Safety Reminders
Candles are pretty and popular during the holidays but they are a leading cause of home fires – and home fire deaths. From 2006-2010, U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated 11,640 home structure fires that were started by candles.
Remember, a candle is an open flame, which means that it can easily ignite anything that can burn.
- Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.
- Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
- Think about using flameless candles in your home. They look and smell like real candles.
Read the full list of candle safety tips from the NFPA.
Stay Connected to Alarm Engineering
Like this article? Subscribe to our Monthly Newsletter and don’t miss a thing!
We post valuable safety and security information, specials, local interest stories, hilarious stupid criminal stories and contests on social media. Join in now and stay connected!
About Alarm Engineering
Locally owned and operated, Alarm Engineering has been securing Delmarva since 1985. In that time, we have developed a reputation for integrity, reliability, and quality with our emphasis on superior service to our customers. We know you have many choices when it comes to your security system, so here are some things you should know about us.
Alarm Engineering is leading provider of electronic security systems and services in Delaware and the Eastern Shores of Maryland and Virginia. From integrated home security systems with home automation and video to large enterprise-level integrated systems and small business solutions, our highly trained and professional staff will get the job done right. As an Authorized Alarm.com dealer, we offer exclusive Crash and Smash technology, Geo-Fencing, Doorbell Camera and LiftMaster Garage Control as part of our Home Automation offerings.
For more about what sets us apart from the crowd, click here or give us a call at 410.546.2210. But don’t just take our word for it: read what our customers are saying.