Summer Safety & Security Tips: Kids Home Alone
Summer means many kids will be spending more time at home without direct supervision. That means fun for them, but often some apprehension for you.
Consider these Summer Safety & Security tips for kids home alone:
- Create and review an emergency plan so kids feel confident about what to do. Make sure kids know what the smoke or security alarm sounds like and what to do when a central station operator calls.
- Make a list of important phone numbers including how to reach you and a family member living close by or a trusted neighbor.
- Make sure they know where to find flashlights and batteries if there is a power outage.
- In the event of a tornado, make sure kids know that the safest place to take cover is the basement. If you don’t have a basement, they should go to an inside room without windows on the lowest floor, says the CDC.
- Review how and when to use 911.
- You never know who is going to show up at the door. Kids may not be confident about who they should or shouldn’t talk to.
- Remind your children that if they don’t know the person at the door, they shouldn’t open it. Make it easy with a doorbell camera so you can talk with anyone who rings the doorbell right from your smartphone or tablet, as if you were home.
- Make sure the kids know to keep the doors and windows locked when they are home alone. Review the security system and its use.
- Consider the addition of an Image Sensor or live video in the home so you can peek in and check on them from anywhere.
- Set up no-show alerts if the children are to be home at a certain time, so you get an alert if they aren’t home on time
- Check in on your kids while you’re at work with our Interactive Services on your smartphone and see for yourself that they are safe and sound at home. Get emails and text messages when they go in and out so you know when they left and returned.
Don’t spend your summer worrying. Arm your kids with these important security tips and you can breathe easy. Read on for more important summer safety tips for kids here.
Stay Connected to Alarm Engineering
Like this article? Subscribe to our Monthly Newsletter and don’t miss a thing!
We post valuable safety and security information, specials, local interest stories, hilarious stupid criminal stories and contests on social media. Join in now and stay connected!
About Alarm Engineering
Locally owned and operated, Alarm Engineering has been securing Delmarva since 1985. In that time, we have developed a reputation for integrity, reliability, and quality with our emphasis on superior service to our customers. We know you have many choices when it comes to your security system, so here are some things you should know about us.
Alarm Engineering is leading provider of electronic security systems and services in Delaware and the Eastern Shores of Maryland and Virginia. From integrated home security systems with home automation and video to large enterprise-level integrated systems and small business solutions, our highly trained and professional staff will get the job done right. As an Authorized Alarm.com dealer, we offer exclusive Crash and Smash technology, Geo-Fencing and LiftMaster Garage Control, and the Doorbell Camera as part of our Home Automation offerings.
For more about what sets us apart from the crowd, click here or give us a call at 410.546.2210. But don’t just take our word for it: read what our customers are saying.