Grilling Safety Tips
As the weather warms, many of us are anxious to get out the grill. Remember fire can be a very destructive force and it’s important to be careful. Here are some important tips to keep your family and property safe around the grill.
- The grill is for outside use only!
- Always make sure your grill is stable before use.
- Keep your grill away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches or plants.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- Keep you grill clean by removing grease and fat buildup from the grill itself and the tray below the grill. In roughly 1/5 grill fires, the grill was dirty.
- Consider a grill pad or splatter mat beneath your grill to protect your deck or patio from grease.
- Check the gas tank hose for leaks before using it for the first time each grilling season. To test for leaks, apply a light soap and water solution to the hose. A propane leak releases bubbles. If your grill has a gas leak, by smell or the bubble test and there is no flame, turn off the gas tank and grill. If the leak stops, get the grill serviced by a professional before trying to use it again. If the leak does not stop, call the fire department.
- If you smell gas while cooking, immediately leave the grill area and call the fire department. Do not move the grill first!
- Charcoal chimney starters are an easy way to start your charcoal grill using newspaper instead of starter fluid. You can also use electric charcoal starters.
- If you do use starter fluid, only use charcoal starter fluid. Never add any other flammable liquids to the fire.
- When grilling is complete, let the coals cool completely before disposing in a metal container.
Read more of ABC’s grilling safety tips here. Check out our full list of cooking safety tips here.
About Alarm Engineering
Locally owned Alarm Engineering has been securing Delmarva since 1985. In that time, we have earned our reputation for integrity, reliability, and quality with our emphasis on superior service to our customers. We know you have choices when it comes to your security system, so here are some things you should know about our team.
Alarm Engineering is leading provider of electronic security systems and services in Delaware and the Eastern Shores of Maryland and Virginia. From integrated home security systems with home automation and video to large enterprise-level integrated systems and small business solutions, our highly trained and professional staff will get the job done right. As an Authorized Alarm.com dealer, we offer exclusive Crash and Smash technology, Geo-Fencing and LiftMaster Garage Control, and the Doorbell Camera as part of our Home Automation offerings.
For more about what sets us apart from the crowd, click here or give us a call at 410-546-2210. But don’t just take our word for it: check out our five star Google Reviews.