Stay Safe & Healthy In the Cold
Prepare for emergencies in the cold, including power outages:
- Stock food items that don’t need to be refrigerated or cooked.
- Stock water.
- Make sure your emergency kit includes first aid kit with any essential medications, battery operated radio and flashlight/lamps, baby items if needed, and cat litter or sand for icy walkways.
- Winterize your home. Install weather stripping where necessary and insulate water lines that run along exterior walls.
- Protect your family against carbon monoxide: keep generators and camp stoves out of the home, basement and garage. Locate generators at least 20 feet from the house. Monitor your home for CO.
- If you do not have working smoke detectors, we can add them outside sleeping areas. Test them often; the CDC recommends monthly.
- Watch out for frozen pipes.
- Always keep your vehicle gas tank full to avoid ice in the tank and fuel lines.
- Dress warmly in layers of light, warm clothing including gloves, hats, scarves and waterproof boots.
- Sprinkle sand or cat litter on icy patches.
- Carry your cell phone and make sure it’s charged.
- Take a buddy and an emergency kit when you’ll be outside for recreation or work.
- Work slowly when doing outside chores.
Winter Travel Safety
- Check the foretasted weather before you leave, and avoid traveling during weather advisories.
- Keep an emergency kit in your car in case you get trapped in the snow. Include blankets, food and water, jumper cables, flashlights, and a first-aid-kit.
- Make sure your car is prepared. Have it serviced and check that antifreeze levels are maintained. Check your tire tread or even change to snow tires.
- Make sure your neighbors and family know your travel plans, and check in on those you know are traveling.
- Avoid non-essential travel when the National Weather service has issued advisories.
Find more cold weather tips from the CDC including travel planning and home preparation.
About Alarm Engineering
Locally owned Alarm Engineering has been securing Delmarva since 1985. In that time, we have earned our reputation for integrity, reliability, and quality with our emphasis on superior service to our customers. We know you have choices when it comes to your security system, so here are some things you should know about our team.
Alarm Engineering is leading provider of electronic security systems and services in Delaware and the Eastern Shores of Maryland and Virginia. From integrated home security systems with home automation and video to large enterprise-level integrated systems and small business solutions, our highly trained and professional staff will get the job done right. As an Authorized Alarm.com dealer, we offer exclusive Crash and Smash technology, Geo-Fencing and LiftMaster Garage Control, and the Doorbell Camera as part of our Home Automation offerings.
For more about what sets us apart from the crowd, click here or give us a call at 410-546-2210. But don’t just take our word for it: check out our five star Google Reviews.