Kid Summer Safety & Security
Summer is here and that means school is out. Differences in routines can mean added concern for parents. Being involved and aware is one of the best ways to make sure your kids stay safe this summer. Make it a point to:
- Know where your children are at all times
- Participate, whenever possible, in their activities
- Set boundaries for your children. Make sure they know who/where they are and aren’t allowed to go visit.
Nothing can substitute you being there at all times, but even though children’s schedules change in the summer months, yours likely does not. So when you can’t be there, prepare your children for a safe summer with these best practices:
- Reinforce that children trust their gut if they are uncomfortable in any situation. Empower them to say NO!
- Create a plan with your children about what to do if they are lost.
- Review with your children which trusted neighbors they can go to if they need help.
- Discuss boundaries.
- Remind them to always tell you or another trusted adult where they will be and to always take a friend along.
- Educate and test your children on how they can reach you. Teach kids how to use 911 when appropriate.
- Make sure your children are comfortable locking doors and windows in your home and teach them how to use your security system.
- Check in on your children while you’re at work with our Interactive Services on your smartphone and see for yourself that they are safe and sound at home. Get emails and text messages when they go in and out so you know when they left and returned.
- Make sure you have a well-stocked first aid kit at home and your children know where it is and how to use it.
- Be sure to keep a list of emergency numbers where it is easy to find for your children.
- Hydration is so important. Keep drinks well stocked and remind them (and yourself!) to drink often, especially after heavy activity in the hottest parts of the day.
- Train your children to be aware of the signs of heat related illnesses, and seek medical attention.
Ticks are responsible for a variety of illnesses that can be serious including Lyme Disease. Some suggestions for keeping ticks at bay include:
- Wear protective clothing (long sleeves, tucking pants into socks) when in high risk areas.
- Stay in the center of walking paths and keep away from overgrown areas.
- Perform tick checks on family members every day.
Read more child safety tips from the CDC.
About Alarm Engineering
Locally owned Alarm Engineering has been securing Delmarva since 1985. In that time, we have earned our reputation for integrity, reliability, and quality with our emphasis on superior service to our customers. We know you have choices when it comes to your security system, so here are some things you should know about our team.
Alarm Engineering is leading provider of electronic security systems and services in Delaware and the Eastern Shores of Maryland and Virginia. From integrated home security systems with home automation and video to large enterprise-level integrated systems and small business solutions, our highly trained and professional staff will get the job done right. As an Authorized Alarm.com dealer, we offer exclusive Crash and Smash technology, Geo-Fencing and LiftMaster Garage Control, and the Doorbell Camera as part of our Home Automation offerings.
For more about what sets us apart from the crowd, click here or give us a call at 410-546-2210. But don’t just take our word for it: check out our five star Google Reviews.